There is Nothing Dangerous About Me

M_Sars

There is nothing dangerous about me.
I am small.
I smile big.
My favorite thing to do in the whole world is make people laugh.

And yet …

I am a Dangerous Woman.
I am a threat to the status quo.
I am unboxable.
Yes, I know, unboxable is not a word, but I am making up words.
I’m dangerous like that.

I am dangerous.
I am dangerous because I am a woman and I am single. And that makes me happy.
I am building my own house.
I am not waiting for a partner to make a home.

I am dangerous because I don’t want to buy things,
I want to create,
make,
recycle,
repurpose.
I am hard to sell to.
I am hard to convince.

I am dangerous because I won’t be told to be quiet,
to behave,
to hold back.
I don’t want to make it if making it means stepping over others for my spot.

I am dangerous because I don’t believe there is anything wrong with my squishy body,
my springy hair,
my crooked teeth.

I am dangerous because I won’t stand for abuse.
I like swear words and I also like kindness.

I am dangerous because I want to worship where it is quiet.
I want to live a life that looks like Jesus.
I want to live in the dirty,
broken,
untouchable places.

I am dangerous because I believe in redemption,
reconciliation,
community,
generosity,
and love.

I am small.
I smile big.
My favorite thing to do in the whole world is make people laugh.
And I am also probably a little dangerous.

_____________

Image credit: Sebastian Faust

Sarah Joslyn
I’m more likely to answer to Sars than Sarah. That’s because years ago my brothers started calling me Sars and, as the name implies, it was infectious. I’m a self-proclaimed writer-photographer-Jesuslover-painter-adventurer-foodie. I have a near obsession with ending injustice and I’m a sucker for a good cause. I blog about life and building a tiny house at sometimesscreaminghelps.com.
Sarah Joslyn
Sarah Joslyn

Latest posts by Sarah Joslyn (see all)

Sarah Joslyn

Comments

1. Love it!

2. I love how you’ve made this your own, Sarah.

3. pastordt says:

I LOVE this, Sarah. Yes, you are dangerous. In exactly the right ways. Thank you.

4. ”I am dangerous because I don’t want to buy things, I want to create,
    make,
    recycle,
    repurpose.
    I am hard to sell to.
    I am hard to convince.”

I like this. Really. Very nice ”double-meaning” behind it.

”I am dangerous because I want to worship where it is quiet.
    I want to live a life that looks like Jesus.
    I want to live in the dirty,
    broken,
    untouchable places.”

Ahhhhh, yes. I feel this. Preach!

5. Nicole A. Joshua says:

You are awesome! I love this post Sars. I love your courage, your vulnerability, your in-your-face gutsiness and sassiness 🙂

• Sarah Joslyn Sarah Joslyn says:

Sassiness and snark are my favorites. Thank you got recognizing my vulnerability, Nicole. ❤️

6. Meagan Ruff says:

Sarah, you are my very best dangerous friend. You definitely make me laugh regularly, but you also challenge me and encourage me… which I love. Also, I love this post.

• Sarah Joslyn Sarah Joslyn says:

Meg, this made me all teary. I appreciate you so much and I am constantly inspired by your integrity and loyalty. You are pretty much the best.

7. Sandy Hay says:

Oh Sarah. I want your kind of dangerous. Lead on girl

8. Katie Richardson says:

Beautiful. I needed to hear your words because they inspire me to continue to live differently, to continue to live in a way that causes my heart to sing and be free. Thank you, sis.

9. hm hmmm, SO good.

10. This is just awesome, Sarah. It’s like your own personal manifesto.

• Sarah Joslyn Sarah Joslyn says:

Yesssss! I totally thought that when I pounded it out. Not a very tidy manifesto, but I like it.

11. I love that you are unboxable & I completely love you. This is awesome Sarah xo

12. Isn’t it interesting how we can’t immediately recognize our own power? It’s a little like being unable to admit (when asked) you have a gift or a strength. When you used the word “unboxable” it immediately resonated with me. It’s hard for people when we can’t be defined by one thing or another, when we don’t fit a certain premade category. That might make us dangerous to them, but I think we’re dangerous in a whole other world of ways.
    When I started art journaling a while back, that word came up as I worked, and I thought I’d share it here. Thanks for writing this piece today.

• Sarah Joslyn Sarah Joslyn says:

TC, wow. “My unboxability is becoming less and less a problem for ME.” That. That is incredible. And it’s exactly how I feel. ❤️

13. LOVE THIS!!!! So much!!!

14. Love it! Let’s all try to be a little more dangerous today!

15. Bev Murrill says:

I love you, Sarah Joslyn! You are more than dangerous! You are LOVE covered in skin!

16. A small girl with a big smile. A tiny house with a big vision. Soft with kindness, hard to budge. You are a beautiful paradox!

• Sarah Joslyn Sarah Joslyn says:

I’ve been calling myself a “walking contradiction” since junior high. But beautiful paradox is so much sweeter. Love it.

1. […] by Sarah Joslyn Share on Facebook Retweet this There is nothing dangerous about me. I am small. I smile big. …read more       […]