After Charlottesville I Am Without Words

I like to think of myself as a person of words. I love to read, talk, preach and write—all of which require some facility with language. I even had a dear friend whisper in my ear a week or so ago, “You know what I love about you? Your vocabulary!” My what? Well, okay, I’ll […]

Adopted: The Sacrament of Belonging in a Fractured World + GIVEAWAY

This past April I celebrated 48 years of adopted living. In July we celebrated with our children 12 years of adopted family life. Adoption bookends my experience of family, both as daughter and as mother. Several years ago I noticed how more people were writing about adoption, but I didn’t recognize my experience in their words. […]

Canada 150, Kanata 14,000

By Melaney Gleeson-Lyall | Twitter: @melaneyglyall Happy Canada Day 150! The host people of this land have welcomed immigrants, refugees and visitors ever since the first ships arrived on these shores, now known as Canada. The word “Canada” comes from indigenous origins, from the Iroquois word kanata meaning land or village. While we celebrate 150 years […]

Confessions of a Chronic Church Hopper

Lately, evangelical Christianity has felt like too many dissonant musical notes strung together. I keep waiting for the resolution in the music. And I’m struggling to stay in the room. *** As a ten-year-old, I knelt by my bed to “ask Jesus into my heart.” Another fifth-grade friend had told me the day before while we […]

Singing Without Words

The other day I heard Father Gregory Boyle speak in Denver. A Jesuit priest, he sang the song of my heart when talking about what it means to be a follower of Jesus in the trenches of real life with the marginalized and oppressed. He said, “We don’t go to the margins to rescue people. We […]